Investaura consultants have immense experience in the area of strategy – applied, detailed – and business planning – quantified, robust, actionable – going all the way back to the mid-1990s.
We understand both small and large businesses. We are consultants turned entrepreneurs and know what it takes to launch a new business from the ground up. In addition, we have worked in senior management positions in industry, so we know how innovation within large companies thrives – or languishes.
We know what works and what doesn’t, and understand the challenges faced by our clients well, because we have lived them.
“Vying to be the best is an intuitive but self-destructive approach to competition. Competitive advantage is not about beating rivals; it’s about creating unique value for customers….
…. A distinctive value proposition will translate into a meaningful strategy only if the best set of activities to deliver it is different from the activities performed by rivals. Competitive advantage lies in the activities, in choosing to perform activities differently or to perform different activities from rivals….
… No strategy is meaningful unless it makes clear what the company will NOT do. Making trade-offs is the linchpin that makes competitive advantage possible and sustainable….
… Good strategies depend on many choices, not one, and on the connections among them. A core competence alone will rarely produce a sustainable competitive advantage.”
Joan Magretta, HBR, 2012
Beyond the ‘theory’, we bring strong ‘practical’ experience from industry. Our strategy and business planning assignments include:
New business, Start-up or New licence, e.g.
- 3G business plans for more than 20 new licences
- Business plans for MVNOs in Germany
- Business plan for Mobile Broadcasting in Europe
- Managed Services / Outsourcing business plans for a European supplier
Existing business: Innovation in Market, Technology or Operations, e.g.
- Business plan for a new product line of Mobile Phones
- Business planning for a CATV operator migrating to ‘TV everywhere’ services, USA
- Business plan for technology migration in Latin America
- Network Operations Transformation business plan, including analysis of Managed Services, Outsourcing, Network Sharing and Leasing
M&A, Financing or Turn-around, e.g.
- Due diligence, Business planning, valuation and advisory services for an Asian telecoms group
- Due Diligence and Business Plan of an Indian MNO in its early stage of operations, with a view to take an equity stake in the business
- Due diligence, Business planning, valuation and transaction support for a large telecom group in Africa, with two of the targets being acquired
- Triple-Play business plan for a CATV operator looking for a financial partner
- Business planning and valuation for a software company in South East Asia
- Business plan for an ICT company providing solutions to Airports and Airlines
- Business plan for a provider of security solutions to critical infrastructure industries
“It is extremely difficult to develop a unique strategy for a company; and if the strategy is truly different from what others in the industry are doing, it is probably highly risky…
…. at the end of the day, more often than not, every competitor basically fights with the same weapons…
…. so execution is really the critical part of a successful strategy. Getting it done, getting in done right, getting it done better than the next person is far more important than dreaming up new visions of the future.”
Louis V. Gerstner Jr., CEO of IBM (1993-2002)